Multitasking is the way of life for a mother...

And I thought I was of a rare breed managing home and grocery and bills and kitchen and cleaning and laundry and kids classes and ... being a surgeon!... the list could go on endlessly. But you know at the end of the day I do not even expect to be acknowledged let alone appreciated for what I do and just how much I manage to fit in a day. What is really killing is the remark that comes casually floating on the air riding my raw nerves and hitting my consciousnes... my husband asking me ( deliberate attempt to rankle?) What is it that you really do the whole day!?

When I first heard that remark, I was stunned. Speechless. I thought I was in a delusion. It really needs a man- any man- to make that kind of a remark to a woman- any woman!
I wanted to go on strike. No waking up the kids for school. No tiffins. No cleaning up the clothing left on the floor or wet in the bathroom either. No picking up of utensils after a meal and no cleaning up of spills in between. No. Nothing. See what happens to the well ordered and organised household that is visible to all who care to be with us at any given point of time.
And smugly at the end of the day, amid the mess, be able to say," You know Hon! You wanted to know exactly what is it that I do during the day? Well... I did not do it today!"
The day would probably end in the woman cleaning up all the mess before she hits the pillow. Better to do it as it comes along rather than wait to show anyone exactly what happens when you do not! And end up not sleeping the night because the mess will trouble you in sleep as well.
Most women today would be single parents despite having a partner. It takes a mother to understand the meaning of multitasking as well as being totally invisible while managing ALL those tasks simultaneously!
I am sure I am not alone in the league of women who have changed diapers in moving cars and left their meal in the middle because junior wants to piddle! Or even poop. Then having done the needful- come back to finish the meal totally unaffected by what happened in between!
We can even enjoy being wet in the middle of the night and laugh about it the next morning!My children are still young and I know I have not had unbroken sleep for last several years. Let a man try having this kind of sleep one night and he ends up being irritable the rest of the day. It does not have to be a sick or unwell child to make a mother a light sleeper.
I enjoy every moment of being a mother. I know I would probably not be able to do as great a job were I to be a full time mom. I think I do better by being full-time surgeon and over-time mom! Being at work is like relaxation from the activities at home and being at home is a clean and refreshing break from office chores!
can we form a club? Working moms... supermoms?

2 comments:

Bottles Barbies And Boys said...

Oh didn't you know a moms just sit on the couch all day and eat bon-bons? LOL

Great post, oh so true!

Nature Walker said...

BB&B!
Glad you could stop by. When was it last that YOU had a bon-bon?! Come now, don't think... Ha! Caught you, didn't I?

You are right, though... the better youa re at doing the mother thing, the more invisible you are doing the several things that you DO!
Thanks.

The reeds that float… Nidhi Dhawan May 10, 2020 · 1 min read The reeds that float on the waves and get carried away are part of the flow tha...